Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installation, cannot create backup folder on external HD
On installation, I have the following error message:

"Not able to create the backup folder /Volumes/WD External HD/Vimalin/Archive/ where backups would be stored.
Unable to mark this disk as a backup target.
Verify user permissions and make sure the disk is writable."

How do I make the disk writable?

Chris Sackett
Sorry. Forget that. I figured it out.

Chris Sackett
I am a new subscriber to Vimalin and am having this identical problem. I have set the read and write permissions on the My Book 1 TB external disk and designated it as Shared but still no luck. Not being as smart as Chris, I haven't figured out the answer yet. Please help!
Hello tc,

Welcome!

tc Wrote:I am a new subscriber to Vimalin and am having this identical problem. I have set the read and write permissions on the external disk and designated it as Shared but still no luck. Not being as smart as Chris, I haven't figured out the answer yet. Please help!

Not sure if I am as smart as Chris either, but can you email me the support bundle ( support at vimalin dot com ) and see if we can figure it out together.

--
Wil
Thanks for your reply, Wil. I'm not sure how to locate my support bundle. Glad to send it once I do. I searched the website for instructions but without success.
Hi,

An update. User tc has been able to send me the support bundle.

Forgot to mention it in my reply here, but it is in the main menu -> Help -> Create Support Bundle

After a bit more investigation we managed to track it down that the Vimalin GUI was correct when it said to check the permissions the user that Vimalin was running with could not create the folder structure without elevation.

This can be corrected by making the basic folder structure by hand yourself.
After that Vimalin will work fine as the worker process does not have the same limitations and is responsible for the backups.

So let's write out the steps we took.

Eg. if your external disk is called "Backup Disk" and mounted under "/Volumes/Backup Disk" then first try to create the folder structure by hand -without elevation- to see if you can reproduce the error in the GUI:

Type the following in a terminal (adjust the name of your disk accordingly)
Code:
mkdir -p "/Volumes/Backup Disk/Vimalin/Archive"

For tc this returned the error: "Permission Denied"..
If you see that then you can continue as follows:
Code:
sudo mkdir -p "/Volumes/Backup Disk/Vimalin/Archive"

This time you're asked for your password and it should create the folder structure.

You can then go back to Vimalin and add the disk as a backup target in the GUI.
It will think that the disk was used by Vimalin before (it wasn't) because this folder structure is the signature that Vimalin looks for.
After that it will try to look for existing backups, it doesn't matter if you answer yes or no. There are no backups yet, so there's nothing to import into the database.

--
Wil