Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Vimarun help with this VM auto restarting issue
I am using VMware Workstation Pro 17 on a Windows 10 host for my Home Assistant OS VM.

The VM is set to auto start using the VM built in service and although it appears to work fine the USB Zigbee co-ordinator stick which is set to auto connect doesn't work in Home Assistant after a PC restart although everything else is fine.

I discovered this was due to the VM suspending and resuming as a full power off and restart of the VM resolves the issue.  I added a batch file to stop and restart the VM under my normal login credentials after booting but before login and although that resolves the issue with HA I can no longer use VMware Workstation interactively when I log in to the machine as it cannot take ownership of the HA VM presumably due to being used by the session 0 instance of VMware.

This brings me to Vimarun and whether what it does will give me a means of working around the issue.  I assume it still relies on VM suspend and resume but after it resumes the VM can it trigger a stop and start to force the USB device to reconnect and still be able to use VMware Workstation interactively with this VM?
Hi,

Vimarun does indeed also suspend instead of shutdown the VM.
Currently there is no option to change that into shutdown.
Having said that.. you're not the first person that asks for the possibility to have a VM shut down instead of suspend.
There's a special version that will shut down each VM instead of suspend. I will send you the link to that version by email.

--
Wil
(2023-05-16, 14:14:49)wila Wrote: There's a special version that will shut down each VM instead of suspend. I will send you the link to that version by email.

Thanks for that I will give it a try. 

One question, does this delay Windows shutdown to allow time to cleanly shutdown the VM?
(2023-05-16, 21:19:15)srk Wrote:
(2023-05-16, 14:14:49)wila Wrote: There's a special version that will shut down each VM instead of suspend. I will send you the link to that version by email.

Thanks for that I will give it a try. 

One question, does this delay Windows shutdown to allow time to cleanly shutdown the VM?

It uses the default mechanism of a Windows service to delay shutting down the host.
IIRC then that is 30 seconds of delay.
It does not wait indefinitely, which is why the default is to use suspend as that tends to be the quickest way, plus it is the best scenario for most users as then the VM continues where it was before the host reboot.

--
Wil