Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disk outside current bundle, any work around?
I've been happily using Vimalin to backup three VMs for a while now.  I am so thankful for having found this software!

Over the weekend I had to add disk capacity to one of my VMs.  I added a second disk on a separate drive.  Now my backups for this VM fail with "VM has a disk outside of the current bundle, unable to backup."  What are my options to fix this, if any?  I'd actually be happy if Vimalin kept backing up what is on "disk 1" because that contains the OS and apps, etc.  The disk I added was for storage, primarily.  Is there a way to "stick to bundle"?  Out of curiosity, what's the limitation with having virtual disks across several physical disks?  Is there a way I should have done this that would work with Vimalin?

Thanks!
Hi,

Thank you for your question.
There is currently no workaround for this issue. I will see if there's something I can do for you, but I'm a bit busy atm.
I will contact you once I have time to look into this.

--
Wil
(2022-08-23, 09:20:48)wila Wrote: Hi,

Thank you for your question.
There is currently no workaround for this issue. I will see if there's something I can do for you, but I'm a bit busy atm.
I will contact you once I have time to look into this.

--
Wil

Hi Wil,

Thank you!  This is a great product and you give fantastic support for it.

Charlie
(2022-08-30, 13:10:35)Jupeman Wrote: Hi Wil,

Thank you!  This is a great product and you give fantastic support for it.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your kind words.
Personally I'm a little less enthusiastic about my follow up at the moment. Still finishing up things elsewhere.

PS: Haven't forgotten this item, it's "on the list" (wish I had better news)
--
Wil
Charlie,

OK, I have a workaround for this in the next version. I will send you a link by email to test.

In order to be able to make a backup with a virtual disk outside of the bundle you have to tell Vimalin to disable that specific check.

This can be done by adding a configuration option in the vimalin.ini file.
This file can be found at ~/Library/Application Support/Vimalin/vimalin.ini and can be added with a plain text editor.
Preferably with the Vimalin program itself not running.

The option to add in the base section is check.localdisk and you set it to false (or off)
Like so:

Once that setting is added you either have to wait until vimalinWorker refreshes itself (which is every 15 minutes) or you kill vimalinWorker from the Activity monitor so that it will read the new settings immediately.

After that... you can make a backup of a VM where a disk is outside of the bundle.

Beware that it WILL NOT include any disk(s) outside of the bundle in your backup, so you have to make a separate backup of that disk if you need it to be backed up.

--
Wil