Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plans to support Encrypted VMs?
I seem to remember a post a while back that mentioned that a version that supported Encrypted VMs might appear one day?

It's my 2 Encrypted VMs I really need to backup, so is there any update on that project please?

Thx
Martin
Hello Martin,

Thanks for asking.

There's been plans.. but not a lot of time to work on it.
I recall that in my earlier testing one could still make a backup of an encrypted VM when the VM is shut down. But when I just tested that.. it didn't work (will look into that first as that seems the easiest way to get at least some backups).

Another problem is that I'm also still waiting on what VMware is going to do with the "autoaddvtpm" mechanism. The problem with that experimental feature is that you cannot make snapshots via automation. Because of that Vimalin is severely hampered for that kind of VM as the automation API that is needed is non functional. Vimarun also has problems with that experimental feature (you can't start a VM without supplying the password that nobody has)

Having said all that..
It should be possible to make Vimalin work for fully encrypted VMs and "yes" I do agree that this has become much more urgent now with Windows 11 basically requiring that.

I will try to make some time for looking into this again soon.

--
Wil
Hi

No rush, I went with a more rube-goldberg approach.

I used a bat file and vmrun to suspend the VMs at 11pm using Windows task scheduler. Then I have secondCopy (I have used that for backups for 10+ years) copy the suspended VMs to backup.

This solves the problem for SecondCopy not copying running VM files anyway.

Thanks though.

Martin
(2022-04-04, 15:35:23)mrcfisher Wrote: Hi

No rush, I went with a more rube-goldberg approach.

I used a bat file and vmrun to suspend the VMs at 11pm using Windows task scheduler. Then I have secondCopy (I have used that for backups for 10+ years) copy the suspended VMs to backup.

This solves the problem for SecondCopy not copying running VM files anyway.

Thanks though.

Martin

OK.. I did send you an email with a private build that fixes the "backup encrypted VM when shut down" issue though.
--
Wil