Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VMs only start when I log in and got suspended when logging out
Hi,

(2022-02-07, 08:20:44)Bodenseematze Wrote: I have a VMware Workstation v16.2.2 running on my Win Server 2019 and a bunch of VMs which should start (and keep running all the time) when the system starts.
So I bought VimaRun and added them to it, so they should start at system start and keep running even if nobody has logged in.
That's exactly how it is supposed to work.

(2022-02-07, 08:20:44)Bodenseematze Wrote: As far as I can see, they all got started - but only after I login (as Administrator) to the machine.
After that login, the VMware Workstation window pops up and all the VMs got started - but not if I don't log in...
I suspect the VM's are running, but they don't have a network connection. Without that.. you can't reach them.

For a customer of mine with a Windows 2019 server I have also seen this issue and the resolution there was to change the vimarun service from “Automatic” to “Automatic (delayed start)”.
The problem is that when it is set to “Automatic” it can actually start the VM before other dependencies like network are already running and by setting it to delayed start that is no longer a problem.
Next update of vimarun will take care of this and use “Automatic (delayed start)” instead.

Hopefully I get to release that update soon as this has bitten quite a few users.

(2022-02-07, 08:20:44)Bodenseematze Wrote: ...and when I log out the user, all running VMs will go to suspend state - which is totally unwanted!

Why? Huh
And how can I prevent this?

Hmm.. that is weird.
Did you configure vimarun with the same Administrator user as that you use to login?

--
Wil

Messages In This Thread
RE: VMs only start when I log in and got suspended when logging out - by wila - 2022-02-07, 11:55:10