Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions for Vimlan Backup - Player 15.5 on Windows 7
Kevin,

I'm always interested in hearing about issues and do try to address them if possible.

re. shutdown before backup. Certainly possible to do with vmrun, but it is not a very common request. This could be useful for servers, less suitable for desktop use.

re. the error that comes up only sometimes. It's weird.. the permissions bit in it does sound like something that one other customer bumped into.
Just wondering. Could it be that something is locking the files?
Like an antivirus product?
If for example Windows Defender is active then it is always a good idea to exclude the VM folder (or at the very least the .vmdk/.vmem/.vmsn/.vmss files.

re. renaming a snapshot. That's not really an option as then things become unmanagable over time.
FWIW, if Vimalin fails to delete the snapshot, it will complain about that, but the backup itself is actually fine. Also next backup that you take it will see that the old snapshot is still there and try to remove it before starting a new backup. If the deletion of the snapshot then fails as well, it will not continue.

re. pictures/attachments.. you can email me at support@vimalin.com Wink please also include a support bundle (you can create from the help menu)

re. testing.
The beauty of VMware products is that you can run things nested.
Which makes testing a lot easier. So I can test against Workstation as well as Player and Fusion.. testing different versions is a matter of a quick install and snapshot.
Run a test, rollback the snapshot.. test again.
Most of the recent tests for Workstation/Player have been against the latest v16 versions and Windows 10 Insider Preview.
So that's a Windows 10 VM with Workstation installed in there with Workstation VM's running in the VM.
Testing other platforms tends to be a snapshot away...

Of course I also test on hardware, but the majority of the tests are nested as it streamlines the tests by a lot.

I started with VMware around VMware Server 1.x, Workstation 5, ESX 2.x
--
Wil

Messages In This Thread