Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vimalin with older VMWare Player versions
There is still an issue with VMWare Player in regards to an intermittent permissions error when running the snapshot command, unfortunately these seems to happen more often in production than testing.

Start a VM with Vimrun and all seems to work well through a backup or 2... Then start hitting snapshot errors in Vimalin, extremely inconsistent and the guest OS is irrelevant. Tried with a few flavors from MSDOS 6.22 to Windows 10 - even XP and 2000 and 2 BSD distros, settled on Win NT 4 as it has VMTools and is extremely quick to test with, and smallish size - about 250Mb

My primary test environment (the movie Inception comes to mind):
* Win 7 SP1 with VMWare Player 15.5 as base (My workstation)
* Win 2016 Server as a VMWare Player Machine on same
* Win NT4 Server as a Machine on the Win2016 as the test VM environment
* Tested on the Win 2016 machine with VMWare Player 12 & 15.5, Workstation 12 & 15.5.7

Within a few tests, anything on the Players started throwing the snapshot errors and vmrun command directly reported the permission error.

In my live Production environment with Windows 2016 Server and Player 16 this was the same.

In the test Windows 2016 Server I installed a trial of Workstation 15.5.7 (also did same test on Workstation 12 with same results)... Absolutely no issues with Vimalin or even directly run vmrun commands.

I am certain that the issue, even up to VMWare Player 16, is to do with VIX/vmrun when working with Player versions. I still can't understand why vmrun command works perfectly for a while in the same environment and with the same credentials (I didn't log out during my tests), yet suddenly starts throwing these permissions errors (on multiple machines and OS's)

Even with my manual scripts, excluding Vimalin, I also started hitting this problem after about 2/3 snapshots, suspend, start. There is something "skeef" about vix access with VMWare Player.

Bottom line is that I think for your purposes VMWare Player should be excluded from the compatibility list for now.

PS: Thanks to your software I have learnt more about VMWare and command structure with their tools than I would have ever known before. I have also been busier and worked stupid late nights too Smile

Messages In This Thread