Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vimalin with older VMWare Player versions
Hi all

* Note: These are my own observations and opinions, and are NOT approved or checked by Vimalin, so please do NOT expect them to answer any queries beyond their recommended specifications. They can only support product that match their specifications, and if your requirements do not meet those specifications then you are on your own! Feel free to ask on the Community Forum about certain configurations or issues, but if you don't meet the minimum specification from Vimalin then they will only respond if they want to... Outside spec you are on your own!

Due to much testing and playing, I have eventually found a working method to use Vimalin (and some other tools) with older versions of VMWare Player:
* I was working with a test environment with Vimalin and realized that the calls to certain programs were linking to the (semi-obvious to advanced users) the vmrun program in the VMWare directories.
* Wil has mentioned in some previous posts that Vimalim needs the vmrun and/or VIX installation to work
* Just installing and changing somethings did not help to try setup VMWare Player 15 or before, even with certain manipulation, so eventually changed a major server to recommended settings and Vimalin worked perfectly. So product works great under recommended settings.
* But while fiddling elsewhere, on a machine that had previously failed to work, I came across this work around that worked for me (your mileage/km may vary)...
* One of my testing machines had a copy of "vmrun.exe" and "vix.dll" versions 1.17 in the VMWare Player folder.
* I took a chance and copied these files to a folder on another machine (with VMWare Player 12) and tried to run the vmrun commands... Amazingly it worked, with snapshot creation and a few other functions. (into the relevant VMWare Player directory)
* I loaded Vimalin onto that machine, and it worked PERFECTLY after a few tests.

So, my suggestion if you have an older version that is not currently supported by Vimalin:
* Try copy the vmrun.exe & vix.dll file from any other installation (my versions were 1.17) to your VMWare executable directory (Microsoft will probably bitch about permissions to a Program Files directory, but just accept the copy and let it save)
* If you really want to test before Vimalin, then try a few tests by running the vmrun command from the command prompt. If it works there then Vimalin will likely work.

Good luck and NO PROMISES from me or Vimalin. This is just an option, nobody is taking responsibility if your system breaks!

Regards
Kevin

Note: All my current testing is on a Windows Server 2016 and a VMWare Player 12 installation.

Messages In This Thread