Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
External Hard Drive Disk Spin Down Question
Hi,

Thanks for your question and thanks for liking my products, I happen to like them too. Smile

I'm afraid that there's not an easy answer to this question, this is also why you gotten different answers when searching for an answer.
The reason for that is because it is highly depend on the hardware of your external disk and the specific drivers of the disk.
It is the driver that should handle this gracefully.
Having said that, I'm willing to look into things if it is not working well.
As it is now, Vimalin does not add any additional "disk spin up" delay before it starts writing out data.

One thing I've learned over the past few years is that Vimalin is pretty good in detecting failures to write out files.
A reasonable amount of my support questions have been due to failing external disks.

In your situation I would try to see how it works.
First to see if it does make the backups without failing, after setting the spin down option, then an additional step to make sure.

If it does make the backup(s) without complaining then that's a good start.
The additional step would be to restore a few of your backups that have been made with the disks spun down.

The reason for that is that on restore Vimalin will compare the md5 hash of each file it copied and make sure it was identical to the disk files it copied from the external disk.
If you happen to have issues with restoring then I can look into adding an option for "disk spin up" time.

--
Wil

Messages In This Thread