Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GENERAL QUESTIONS - speed
Adam,

I left it out because my test is flawed from a pure performance measurement point of view.
The test is in my development test area which in this particular case was a backup from a local VM disk to another local VM disk.
The Windows 10 VM in which I ran that test is running on a recent macbook pro and as such it is has M2 backing.

However... a VM disk never sees that M2 kind of performance.
Instead it is much closer to your physical SATA speed for reading and writing as to actual M2 speed because I'm backing up the inner nested VM to the outer VM virtual disk.

To give you an alternative measurement I also test a lot against network based backups. One of those tests is against a Synology DS218 with SoC Realtec RTD1296 and 2 disks (Hitachi 3TB SATA) and then the same backup takes 279 seconds. So as you can see, the M2 backing really isn't running at full speed, the Synology is limited by a 1Gb/s network, I'd be happy if it hits 90MB/s there, but file copying from within a VM is slower due to the nature of going through a virtual network card.

Back of the envelope calculation on the VM backup I made is: 12*1024/279=44MB/s so there you go, not even close to 90MB/s.

Btw, this is still with the hash calculation turned off.

If your hardware is really giving that 550 MB/s (which I've only rarely seen a SSD disk to actually do in real life situations, unless the disk is empty and very new) then I expect that Vimalin is getting close to that physical limit.
But there are so many factors to take into account when testing that I'm not surprised if it is less performant.

--
Wil

Messages In This Thread