Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When application is started twice, then the instances affect each others waitstates
Bug 
We have made a rather big ERP application, the platform is Progress OpenEdge. It is a 32 bits windows application. Some of the windows in the application are showing HTML thanks to the great Antview control. The application is using the AntViewGlobal interface.

Our users have the habit of starting two instances of the application, because if one instance of the application is busy doing a lengthy operation (like a report with difficult queries) then they can use the second instance to get work done in the meantime.

Since we have released a version that uses Antview, our users report that they can not use two instances anymore. Well, they can, until one of the instances is busy (and showing the IDC_WAIT cursor formerly known as the hourglass) because then the other instance is also showing the same cursor and is also blocked for input!

This has me puzzled for weeks. How can a cursor in one process affect the other process.

This morning I did an experiment: I removed Antview from the application. It behaved normal again: one instance busy and blocked for input during a length operation, the other instance available for input. Added Antview back in and the problem came back.
So, the problem is something in Antview.

Then I started experimenting with settings. I have tried to specify different app-id in each instance, by using 
     AntViewGlobal:AdditionalBrowserArguments = '--app-id=somevalue'   (where each instance has a different somevalue)
That caused a different problem: the first instance would work fine but the second instance could not create the webview control.
That means to me that AntviewGlobal is indeed global, very much so.

So then I tried to use Antview without AntviewGlobal, and set the AdditionalBrowserArguments in the Antview itself. That did not help. 

I am out of ideas. Do you have any suggestions?

Messages In This Thread
When application is started twice, then the instances affect each others waitstates - by jdijkstra - 2024-04-05, 13:11:21