Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VMs only start when I log in and got suspended when logging out
Hi,

OK.. finally had some time down here to run tests.
For now I ran tests with VMware Workstation Player (as I have no logs I do not know what you use, I will run tests with Workstation Pro later on)

When I run a VM in the background then I do not see your issue at all.
The VM starts before login, after login and continues to run after I logout from the host instead of disconnect the remote desktop sesion.

When I run a VM in the foreground then the VM starts before login, continues to run after login, but it switches to the foreground as it should. Then on logout... it suspends, just like you are seeing.

Note that this is not vimarun that suspends your VM here. What you are seeing is normal VMware Player behavior as you can configure it to either suspend or shut down the VM on close of the application (File->Preferences-> check what to do when closing a virtual machine, suspend or shut down)
Since you close the desktop session on a logout, all applications that run within the desktop session are closed.

VMware Workstation Pro has a configuration option for this. (Edit->Preferences->Workspace -> Keep VM's running after Workstation closes) But I haven't run tests with that yet.

So for the moment, if you run VMware Player, then the suggestion is to run VM's in the background.
For Workstation Pro I suggest to make sure the "Keep VM's running after Workstation closes" checkbox is checked.

Hope this helps,
--
Wil

Messages In This Thread
RE: VMs only start when I log in and got suspended when logging out - by wila - 2022-02-13, 00:43:09