Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions to Add to FAQ and Vimalin Feature Requests
* How much will it cost when it is released?
* How will it be licensed? Can I use it on multiple personally owned Macs (with a similar license to VMware)? I run virtual machines on my desktop iMac, a Mac mini server (the firewall is a virtual machine appliance), and occasionally a MacBook Pro laptop when I am away from home.
* How does it work? Does it shutdown the virtual machine first, then copy the entire virtual machine package, then restart the virtual machine?
Note: I would like a backup product that can be configured to shutdown the virtual machine before the backup starts, to guarantee that it is in a restorable state if I should ever need the backup. Some of my virtual machines run as Windows Servers with open, active databases on them.
* Does it check the running state of the virtual machine (running, suspended, or shutdown?) in order to leave it in the same state when it is done?
* How does it manage backup file accumulation?
Note: I would like to keep a certain number of backup copies (say, two month's worth of weekly backups), and then have the backup program start deleting the old backups to avoid running out of disk space.
* Can it perform other actions, such as a Disk Cleanup, before restarting the virtual machine?
* Can I configure it to run one of my shell scripts when a backup completes?
* It would be nice if it could be programmed to compress the backup, save an MD5 hash of the compressed backup, and then delete the original backup, for example, which would save a huge amount of disk space.

Messages In This Thread