Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Azure joined system log on as a service for logged in user
Hi, I have systems that are Azuure joined. So they log into their systems with their Active Directory credentials user@domain.com . When i try to install the Vimalin application and call out this user to run the service. It fails with an error code 1 cannot auth the user basically. Ive tried domain\username and the user@domain.com. Neither worked. Do you know if it is possible to do this with remote systems on Azure? Through Powershell commmands I was able to put the Azure based user into a local group to allow the permission to log on as a service. Vimalin asks for a user. Is it possible for it to ask for a local group off of the windows system? Instead of entering a User?

Thanks!!
Hi,

I don't have systems joined to an Azure Active Directory, so that makes it a bit hard to answer as I can't test.

The way groups normally work is that if a user joins a particular group, that then the user gets the capabilities of the group.
Eg. a user that joins the admin group, now has administrator privileges.
Not sure if you have to restart / login fresh, but that is something I would probably do anyways after making a change like that.

Seems that the Azure AD roles are still overriding the privileges of the group it just joined.
--
Wil
(2024-06-01, 09:55:53)wila Wrote: Hi,

I don't have systems joined to an Azure Active Directory, so that makes it a bit hard to answer as I can't test.

The way groups normally work is that if a user joins a particular group, that then the user gets the capabilities of the group.
Eg. a user that joins the admin group, now has administrator privileges.
Not sure if you have to restart / login fresh, but that is something I would probably do anyways after making a change like that.

Seems that the Azure AD roles are still overriding the privileges of the group it just joined.
--
Wil

yes adding the user to admin group still doesn't help filling in what user can run the Vimalin Service. Granting the local user account Log on as service right gets the non admin account to start the vimalin service and its the same account running the virtual machines. But when Azure is in the mix the account is not local anymore (its an active directory account in Azure) so how will i fill out the username to run service part of the vimalin install?  this is where i am stuck. is it possible to call out a group instead of a user?
Hi,

I'm afraid that I'm not of much help here.

If you add the user account to the Azure group that is allowed to run a service locally then normally you should be able to add the user account as the user to run the service under. As the user is part of a group that is allowed to do so.. that should be all that there is to do.
I'm assuming here that you are using the standard Windows Services Management Console to define what user the service should run under.

I'm not sure that you can select a group there, but if there's any place you can select a group to run the service under it is there as well.

--
Wil