Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
local admin rights
Does the local user have to be an admin to use Vimalin on windows 11?
In the past with  windows 10 I could install vimalin as local admin, then let local non admin user backup VMs I set with running the application as the local admin account inside the users profile that did not have local admin. Though the non admin user could not make any changes to the current backup jobs nor could they start the GUI application. but the backups ran fine.

So two questions:
1. Can this application run and without local admin rights n windows 11
2. Is it possible to at the very lest get it to run like it did on windows 10 where i could set the user's backup jobs as an admin then let it run in the background? If i try this on windows 11 it will not start the service. because the local user does not have the rights to do so.

thanks!
Hi,

Having local admin credentials when installing the application certainly helps.
What is required is the ability to run a local service under the same user account as VMware Workstation. So let's say if the user "foo" normally runs the VM's then it should also be be user "foo" that the main service (vimalinService) runs under.
There's another service (vimalinSharedVMM) that runs as system, but it is only used for the Shared VM feature, which is pretty legacy by now.

If user "foo" has no possibility to run a local service then functionality is severely hampered. In theory you could run that service under SYSTEM as well, but then you can't take backups with the VM running and you also don't get access to network resources.

You also mention "normal user can no longer make changes".. there's -at least in theory- no such limitation. I'm wondering if perhaps the user that is trying to make the changes does not have sufficient credentials to write to the database & config files.
In particular:
Code:
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Vimalin\Config
-rw-r--r--   1 wil  staff   600B Oct  6 19:56 Vimalin.ini
-rw-rw-r--   1 wil  staff    55K Oct  5 19:11 cpaw.db
-rw-r--r--   1 wil  staff    53B Oct  2 19:04 generalSettings.ini
-rw-r--r--   1 wil  staff   292B Oct  4 00:58 jobs.ini
-rw-r--r--   1 wil  staff   608B Oct  4 22:29 schedules.ini
(Sorry about the snippet, it's a mix of macOS/windows output Big Grin , but it gets the general idea across)

Hope this helps,
--
Wil
So far so good! thanks for the reply!